Applicants for Active membership should exhibit an interest in, and a commitment to, vascular surgery. Active membership will be considered for candidates who fulfill the following requirements:
- Currently practice in the states of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota or Wisconsin.
- Have completed an ACGME approved Vascular Surgery residency or Fellowship program.
- Have obtained a certificate of Special Qualifications in Vascular Surgery through the American Board of Surgery.
- Demonstrate a significant interest in the diagnosis and treatment of vascular disease, through educational endeavors and/or research related to vascular biology (see below).
- Demonstrate a commitment to the practice of vascular and/or endovascular surgery (see below).
- Applicants should fill out the application, online or PDF.
- Applicants should identify a Member of the Midwestern Vascular Surgical Society to serve as a Sponsor. The Sponsor should be familiar with the candidate’s vascular surgery training, clinical work, and/or present standing in his/her medical community. The Sponsor may be a partner, member of the applicant’s professional group or the vascular surgery training Program Director. An Endorsement Form from the Sponsor (or a Letter of Recommendation) should be included with the application.
- One additional member of MVSS should be identified by the Applicant to serve as an Endorser. Preferably, these individuals should not be partners or members of the applicant’s professional group. The applicant should contact the Endorser and request that an Endorsement Form be forwarded to the Society’s Administrative Office.
- Active membership may be considered for select physicians who have not completed an approved vascular surgery residency program and achieved a Certificate of Special Qualifications in Vascular Surgery. Such physicians include those with training in vascular medicine or peripheral vascular disease; or surgeons, interventional vascular radiologists, or cardiologists who demonstrate a commitment to the practice of vascular and/or endovascular surgery.
The following should be included in the application:
- Documentation of Continued Medical Education in the area of vascular disease, vascular surgery and/or endovascular therapy. At least 10 hours of CME in vascular disease should be completed per year.
- Surgeons without a Certificate of Special Qualifications in Vascular Surgery must submit a case log documenting all major and minor vascular surgery procedures performed over the past two years. Surgeons should perform at least 50 major and 50 minor vascular procedures over this time frame.
- Physicians need to provide attainment of the minimum number of cases designated by their respective boards to perform peripheral vascular interventions. These physicians should also submit verification of performance of at least 100 major vascular interventions over a two-year period.
- The Sponsor and Endorser should specifically comment on the physician’s clinical exposure or training in vascular disease, standing in the community, and the quality of care provided to patients with vascular disease.
If you’ve chosen to complete the PDF version, you can submit your application and any supporting documents electronically through email@example.com or through the mail, addressed to:
MVSS Membership Chair
Midwestern Vascular Surgical Society
100 Cummings Center, Suite 124A
Beverly, MA 01915